Thursday, December 8, 2011

Columns During & After

Drama is a matter of taste. Subjective. How dramatic do you want your surroundings? Starting with white columns, I made them dramatic. Client was home during painting, and very worried after the first day. I gave her a piece of white chalk and told her she could "X" out areas that bothered her, draw a box around areas she liked.
This is the "FRIEND" column, it looked the best during the whole process. It was the first one I worked on, when I was least tired, it had the best lighting from the window...
Imagine how hard it is to make three separate things look like they belong together, not matchy-match, but coordinated, cut from the same stone.
From bold, to subtle, what the client wanted:
Washed out, or just right? Subtle. Sublime. Soft. Suggestions of colors.
THE CLIENT IS ALWAYS RIGHT. Some things I will argue for, try to persuade from an artistic point of view. But in the end, it is their home, their art, their money, and yes, they get their way. I can go home and paint my own, another day. My preferences: bolder, like this:

Next time I paint marble/stone:
1. I will do 10 sample boards and let the client choose before hand the coloring, drama of lines, width, direction before I start painting. Sometimes the vocabulary gets in the way, my definitions vs. what client understands. It is easier to choose & point and say "Make it look like that!"
2. I will use some metallic paint to add texure & shine (the reflective little bits of mica are one of my favorite parts, but client did not want any metallic).
3. Try oil paints to float the glazes and open up the drying time.
4. Not take clients during December, schedule for January.
5. Carry business cards with me, always. Referrals are the best clients.
6. Pay someone to clean up for me.
7. Pay someone to take professional photos for portfolio purposes.

2 comments:

landbeck said...

Those area *amazing*! I think I like them bolder, but you are smart for according your client's wishes. Great job!

Jane Babcock said...

I like the bolder also. Good idea to show them samples.